Retro-Commissioning Program incentives are available to commercial, industrial, governmental and institutional customers of Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison (FirstEnergy’s Ohio utilities) to encourage participants to optimize the energy performance of their buildings and industrial processes.
Possible retro-commissioning projects include:
- Adjustments to lighting and HVAC equipment operating schedules
- Corrections to air side economizer operation and minimum outside air intake percentage
- Repairs to damper actuators and air side economizer sensors
- Central plant optimization
- Compressed air leak loss reduction
- Re-commissioning of compressed air system control
Incentives for retro-commissioning will be available for projects completed after January 1, 2017, and after receipt of a formal pre-approval letter from the program.
Retro-commissioning program incentives are available to commercial, industrial and institutional customers of Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison (FirstEnergy’s Ohio utilities).
All incentive requests are subject to review and pre-approval by the program staﬀ prior to the audit work. To request a retro-commissioning incentive, submit a completed incentive application online to the program. A formal pre-approval letter must be received prior to starting any work.
Incentives available from the Retro-Commissioning program are shown below, and are limited to 50 percent of the total project cost.
Click on the heading below to view the current program incentives and requirements.
|Retro-Commissioning Performance Incentive||An incentive of $0.03/kWh saved is offered for retro-commissioning projects.|
How Do I Apply For Incentives?
Step 1 – The participant should complete and submit a Retro-Commissioning Incentive application online and upload required documents through the application portal. The following documents are required for a pre-approval:
- Completed and signed W-9 tax form for the incentive payee. The W-9 form must be current and dated within the last 24 months.
- ASHRAE level I audit of the facility, identifying potential areas for operational improvements that will reduce energy use.
- Benchmarking of facility annual energy use (kWh).
- Summary of the facility and its major energy using systems (e.g., lighting and HVAC).
- General description of the facility’s energy management system and its capabilities.
- Estimated project material costs, labor costs, and energy savings estimates. Energy savings estimates should include calculations and a description of methodology used in the calculations.
- A project scope of work should be included, which details the all pre and post equipment operation conditions which will contribute to energy savings (i.e., operating schedules, temperatures, pressures, speed, etc.).
- Copy of utility bill to conﬁrm account number and service address. If desired, the participant may obscure all cost and rate related information.
Step 2 – The Program Administrator will notify the applicant via email when the review is complete and funds have been reserved. The applicant will have 90 days from the date of the pre-approval letter to complete the project.
Step 3 – Once the project is complete, participants should review their application for any changes and submit the following documents to the Program Administrator for review:
- Revised energy savings analysis/calculations (if changes were made during construction).
- Detailed, itemized invoices or proofs of purchase for the equipment installed and labor.
- Completed letter of attestation.
- Post energy data/measurements (if applicable).
- If applicable, customers who wish to issue all or a portion of their incentive to a 3rd party should complete a Dual Incentive Payment form.
Supporting technical documentation will be reviewed by the program administrator and an onsite inspection to verify the installation may be conducted. Upon receipt and verification of all required documentation, the incentive check will be processed and mailed to the applicant or to an authorized representative, if requested on the application.
Apply Online for retro-commissioning incentives or contact us at 1-866-578-5220.