Data Center program incentives are available to commercial, industrial and institutional customers of Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company, and Toledo Edison (FirstEnergy’s Ohio utilities). Data Center facilities house IT equipment used for data processing, data storage, and communications networking. These facilities meet the needs of high-density computing equipment, and typically require dedicated cooling systems and uninterruptable power supplies. Server closets or computer training areas would not qualify as data centers under this program.
Possible data center projects include:
- Installation of high-efficiency server and storage devices
- High-efficiency computer room air conditioning (CRAC) and HVAC equipment.
- Server virtualization
- High-efficiency power supplies
- High-efficiency telecom switchgear implementations
- Building Automation System installation
- Variable frequency drives on HVAC fans and pumps
- High-efficiency dehumidification systems
- Economizer retrofits
- Airflow management and controls that improve systems cooling
To qualify for incentives through the Data Center Business Incentive Program, equipment must have been purchased and installed after January 1, 2017, and after the receipt of a formal pre-approval letter from the Program Administrator.
All Data Center incentive requests are subject to review and pre-approval by the program staﬀ prior to the audit work.
Incentives available from the Data Center program are shown below, and are limited to 50 percent of the total project cost. Only new equipment is eligible for incentives under the Data Center Incentive Program.
Click on the heading below to view the current program incentives and requirements.
Data Center Incentives
|Data Center Performance Incentive||An incentive of $0.05/kWh saved is offered for projects under the Data Center program.|
How Do I Apply For Incentives?
Step 1 – The participant should complete and submit a Data Center Incentive application online and upload required documents through the application portal. The following documents are required for a pre-approval:
- Completed and signed W-9 tax form for the incentive payee. The W-9 form must be current and dated within the last 24 months.
- Scope of work with a summary of the existing and proposed systems
- Manufacturers’ specification (cut) sheets for each proposed item to verify that the equipment is eligible. Please circle or highlight the relevant information on the specification (cut) sheets.
- Detailed energy savings analysis/calculations with supporting pre data/measurements (if applicable).
- Copy of utility bill to conﬁrm account number and service address. If desired, the participant may obscure all cost and rate related information.
Step 2 – The Program Administrator will notify the applicant via email when the review is complete and funds have been reserved. The applicant will have 90 days from the date of the pre-approval letter to complete the project.
Step 3 – Once the project is complete, participants should review their application for any changes and submit the following documents to the Program Administrator for review:
- Revised energy savings analysis/calculations (if changes were made during construction).
- Detailed, itemized invoices or proofs of purchase for the equipment installed.
- Completed letter of attestation.
- Post energy data/measurements (if applicable).
- If applicable, customers who wish to issue all or a portion of their incentive to a 3rd party should complete a Dual Incentive Payment form.
Supporting technical documentation will be reviewed by Program Administrator and an onsite inspection to verify the installation may be conducted. Upon receipt and verification of all required documentation, the incentive check will be processed and mailed to the applicant or to an authorized representative, if requested on the application.
Apply Online for Data Center incentives or contact us at 1-866-578-5220.