Program Update: August 1, 2018
Effective August 1, 2018, the incentive for LED Lamps (medium screw base) is $5.00 per lamp incentive. Pre-approval and pre-inspection is required for this measure. Please download the most current lighting form under the Resources tab.
Lighting Incentive Program
Available to existing facilities and new construction projects, the Lighting Incentive Program is offered to Ohio commercial, industrial, governmental and institutional customers of Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison (FirstEnergy’s Ohio utilities) to encourage participants to install high-efficiency lighting equipment.
Cash incentives are available for installation of:
- High-efficiency fluorescent tubes
- LED lighting fixtures and retrofits
- LED lamps and LED exit signs
- Occupancy and daylighting controls
To qualify for incentives through the Lighting Incentives Program, equipment must be new and installed after January 1, 2017.
All lighting incentive applications received by the program will require pre-approval before the purchase and installation of materials.
Incentives available from the Lighting Incentive Program are shown below, and are limited to the total equipment cost. Only new equipment is eligible for incentives under the Lighting Incentive Program.
New Ohio C&I Program Requirements – T-12 Lighting Phase-Out
Starting January 1, 2017, standard T-8 fluorescent lighting equipment will become the baseline for energy savings for replacing any T-12 linear fluorescent lighting equipment. All Lighting Incentive Program applicants are required to use the Lighting Calculator spreadsheet to estimate annual energy and demand savings. T-12 fixtures codes entered in the lighting calculator will be automatically converted to an appropriate T-8 fluorescent fixture code as defined in Appendix C of the 2016 PA TRM.
|Incentives||Equipment & Eligibility Requirements||Incentive|
|LED Lamps||Eligible LED lamps must be medium screw base, ENERGY STAR® rated and replace existing incandescent lamps with a medium screw base. Projects where all or a significant portion of the project includes the retrofit of medium base incandescent lamps, a pre-inspection will be required before pre-approval.||$5 per Lamp|
|LED Exit Signs||Eligible LED exit signs must replace existing fluorescent or incandescent exit signs to be eligible.||$15 per Sign|
|CFL Specialty||Eligible CFL specialty lamps must be ENERGY STAR rated and replace existing specialty incandescent lamps. Specialty lamps include candelabra, PARs, and CCFL.||$1.50 per Lamp|
|CFL Fixtures||Eligible CFL fixtures must be ENERGY STAR rated. This includes new single or multi-lamp hardwired CFL fixtures with integral electronic ballast.||$10 per Fixture|
|LED Refrigerated Case Lighting||Eligible LED case lighting must be listed by the Design Lights Consortium (DLC) (www.designlights.org).||$37.50 per Door|
|LED Channel Signage||Eligible measures include the replacement, retrofit, or new installation of channel letter signs with LED lighting technology.||$3 per Linear Foot|
|Lighting equipment that does not meet the requirements of the prescriptive lighting incentives listed above may qualify under the base incentive rate of 5¢ per kWh saved annually.
Please note: For retrofit projects, calculated incentives for interior and exterior LED fixtures are capped at $55 per fixture when replacing fixtures with a total lamp wattage (excluding the ballast) of 250 Watts or less.
For new construction projects, calculated incentives for interior and exterior LED fixtures are capped at $55 per fixture.
Calculated incentives for street and area lighting fixtures (retrofit and new construction) are capped at $220 per fixture.
|Lighting Program Requirements|
|Solid State Lighting
– Solid State Lighting/LED equipment must be ENERGY STAR rated (www.energystar.gov) or listed by the Design Lights Consortium (DLC) (www.designlights.org) to be eligible for incentives.
– Occupancy controls may not have a manual “on” switch capable of overriding the automatic “off” switch.
– New controls must replace a manual switching system.
– Occupancy sensors installed as part of a new construction project, in areas where sensors are required by code, are not eligible for incentives.
– Only new equipment is eligible for incentives.
– Lighting incentives are available for the installation of new lighting equipment that results in a reduction in electrical energy use.
– All 30 and 32 watt 4-ft T8 lamps must appear on the current Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) Qualifying Products list or meet the CEE “High-Performance” specifications. (See the CEE website: www.cee1.org).
– All retrofit kits shall include lamp socket brackets and sockets that center the lamps in the fixture, and may include a new reflector or ballast cover. Retrofit kits and components shall be UL or CSA listed for luminaire retrofit conversion and be installed in accordance with the current National Electrical Code.
– The total lighting incentive applies to linear fluorescent retrofits and energy efficient lighting products. This involves the replacement or new installation of linear fluorescent lighting equipment, including but not limited to T8 and T5, to a higher efficiency than existing or designed. This also involves the purchase and installation of CFL and LED screw in & pin base bulbs in single or multipacks replacing incandescent lamps.
Existing Facilities and New Construction
– Lighting incentives are available for both existing facilities and new construction projects and the portions of building addition projects that increase a facility’s footprint. Projects involving existing facilities should consider the existing equipment when calculating the baseline energy usage. New construction projects should follow applicable building energy construction codes when calculating the baseline energy usage. CFL or LED exit signs installed as part of a new construction project are not eligible for incentives.
How Do I Apply For Incentives?
Step 1 – The participant should complete and submit a Lighting Program application online and upload required documents through the application portal. The following documents are required for a pre-approval:
- Completed lighting calculator spreadsheet
- Manufacturers’ specification (cut) sheets for the proposed equipment. Please highlight or circle all relevant information, such as the equipment efficiency ratings.
- Letter supporting the lighting equipment hours of operation used in the lighting calculator. This requirement is waived if the applicant is using the default hours of operation in the lighting calculator spreadsheet.
- If applicable, new construction or major renovation projects must include a copy of their facility drawings and lighting equipment schedules.
- Completed and signed W-9 tax form for the incentive payee. The W-9 form must be current and dated within the last 24 months.
- Copy of utility bill to conﬁrm account number and service address. If desired, the participant may obscure all cost and rate related information.
Step 2 – The program administrator will notify the applicant via email when the review is complete and funds have been reserved. The applicant will have 90 days from the date of the pre-approval letter to complete the project.
Step 3 – Once the project is complete, the participant should review the approved application for any changes to the project that occurred during installation and make any needed corrections. The following final documentation should be submitted to the Program Administrator for review:
- Detailed, itemized invoices or proofs of purchase for the equipment installed
- Manufacturers’ specification (cut) sheets for any additional equipment installed (if applicable).
- Revised lighting calculator spreadsheet (this requirement is waived if no changes were made during construction).
- Completed letter of attestation.
- If applicable, customers who wish to issue all or a portion of their incentive to a 3rd party should complete a Dual Incentive Payment form.
Upon receipt and verification of all required documentation, the incentive check will be processed and mailed to the applicant or to an authorized representative if requested on the letter of attestation.
Apply online or contact us at 1-866-578-5220.